Friday, March 20, 2009

Sock Madness

Yeah I know most people only know of March Madness in basketball. Yep, we know that at our house Go Huskies.

But, a while back Adrienne Fong told me I had to join Sock Madness. Not even knowing anything about it I did. When Adrienne tells ya to do something just go do it.

I joined and waited. I read the postings about it. Oh my. 200 knitters start in 4 divisions. First round 40 in each division move on to the next pattern. The excitement was building. How much fun this would be was unfolding. I spent the time before the start cleaning up the house, grocery shopping (wonderful items to have, grapes, baby carrots, quick easy foods that are not messy), I ball up the yarn and plotted my knitting time. I planned meals for the days I would be spending knitting the socks. I tried to clear my days and nights to be ready.

March 19th was the tip off date. Pattern to be emailed between 6 - 9am EDT. Well here that is 3 - 6am. Ya, got to be kidding?

I did wake up at 3:30 am but thought no not gonna do it, pattern may not be out, then 4:30, still pattern might not be there. Well when I woke up at 5:30 I thought I may as well get up. Going to the computer the pattern was there. Wow 10 pages. Downloaded them the hit print, decided to make coffee while printing.

Now I have coffee and the pattern I am ready to go. What a cast on I have never done? Back to the computer to learn that as one must follow the pattern exactly. After 2 different videos of it I think I got it. Gotta thank Youtube here for that save.

So cast on has began but oh, crap coffee is cold. Get up to get a warm up and off to the madness again. Sock was getting longer then an afterthought heel???? What the heck??? Pattern was wonderful and walked on through it with no problem.

Then off to the toes. Oh no it looks like I might run out of yarn. This worried me for a while. I did finish the sock with 5 yards to spare. Golly Gee Whiz. Still not sure why the pattern had you do that 4th row at the toe.

Twas a long day. I knitted most of it. Well I did check the computer to see if any changes were made to the pattern a few times. Checked to see if any one had any tips.

16 hours later I worked the final end in. Now this sock had a cast on I had never done and an afterthought heel. Afterthought heels not sure why one wants more ends to work in.

Ken took a picture of my new socks on my feet.
This picture was taken late at night so the pattern does not show well. I was hoping for some sun (oh that's right we do not get much of that here). I know in sunlight they will look like they have a pattern. Below is a quick daylight picture of them.

What a fun pattern. Very well written. Bring on Round 2 hopefully for the UW Huskies also.

Oh and now I get to be the bartender and pour the virtual Bailey's for the rest of the group.
Go Division One/For Whom the Ball Rolls and any other divisions.


Bev said...

Way to go. You did a great job.

adrienne said...

wow! i didn't realize that i had such power!

ok, now find all your malabrigo sock yarn and that dream in smooshy stuff and send it all to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Breien in Lansingerland said...

WOW! I am amazed about the speed you had, creating this pair of socks.

roseygirl said...

I am so slow knitting my first pair of socks, I can't wait to share my finished pair on my blog......not sure when that will be though??